Saturday, February 7, 2009

Ceramic tile cleaner for cats who eat off the floors

Ceramic tile cleaner
Mix 1/4 cup
(60ml) white vinegar into a gallon (3.8 litres) of warm water. Apply with sponge.
Recipe from Dr Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats, p142.

My cats are messy eaters. When they eat, they tend to displace their food off their bowls, and lick the food off the floor.

This habit worries me because when my cats lick food off the floor, they are also ingesting some of the no rinse commercial tile cleaner that I use to mop the floor. The commercial tile cleaner has a long list of chemicals, which I don't understand but I've read that it may be toxic if ingested.

So when I discovered this recipe, I started using it to clean the kitchen floors (where I feed my cats) instead of a commercial tile cleaner. I find the sponge a little warm to hold, so I usually grip the sponge using a pair metal tongs. My husband says that the floor smells a bit like the vinegar in fish and chips but don't worry, this smell disappears once floor dries. Now I can be confident that my cats won't get sick from licking the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment